Fotografía de la Antigua Escuela de Medicina Tropical localizada en Puerta de Tierra, San Juan y publicada en el anuario Athenea de la clase senior de la Universidad de Puerto Rico de 1928. Según la ficha sobre este edificio del Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos de la Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, fue diseñado por el arquitecto Rafael Carmoega Morales (1894-1968) a principios de la década de 1920 y construido bajo el auspicio de la Universidad de Puerto Rico y la Universidad de Columbia. Fue la primera escuela en este hemisferio dedicada al estudio y prevención de las enfermedades tropicales.

Fachada principal de la Antigua Escuela de Medicina Tropical (1928)

Facultad de la Antigua Escuela de Medicina Tropical (1928)

Historia y organización de la Escuela de Medicina Tropical

Reproducimos a continuación para facilitar su lectura el texto sobre la historia y organización de la Escuela de que aparece en el anuario Athenea de 1928:

HISTORY AND ORGANIZATION 

THE School of Tropical Medicine was created by Act of the Porto Rico Legislative Assembly, June 23, 1924, through a Joint Resolution which transferred to the School all the properties of the former Institute of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. The same resolution carried a provision for the construction of an adequate building for laboratories, library and offices.

Among those most active in carrying through the measures which culminated in the organization of the School were Governor Horace M. Towner, Mr. Antonio Barceló, President of the Senate of Porto Rico, Dr. López Antongiorgi, Dr. A. L. Goodman, Dr. Pedro N. Ortiz, Commissioner of Health, and Col. Bailey K. Ashford.

The building was completed in May 1926, at a cost, including equipment, of approximately $130,000. Exercises celebrating the formal opening were held on September 22, 1926, and the first session began on Oct. 1, 1926.

The School of Tropical Medicine has a Special Board of Trustees, as provided by an Act of the Legislative Assembly approved by Governor Towner July 21, 1925, consisting of five members, of whom three are chosen by the Trustees of the University of Porto Rico from its own members and two nominated by Columbia University.

A plan of cooperation between the University of Porto Rico and Columbia University for the operation of the School was worked out in conferences between representatives of the two Universities in 1925, and put in operation in 1926. According to this agreement the authority to determine the educational policy of the School and to make nominations to its faculty was delegated to Columbia University, subject to the approval of the Special Board of Trustees. In other respects the School is operated as a unit of the University of Porto Rico.

La Escuela de Medicina Tropical fue incluida el 29 de septiembre de 1983 en el Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos de la Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica. Compartimos a continuación la ficha informativa y la nominación del faro a este registro.

Escuela de Medicina Tropical - Ficha RNLH

 

Escuela de Medicina Tropical - Nominacion RNLH

 

Localización de la Antigua Escuela de Medicina Tropical en Puerta de Tierra, San Juan. Fue completado en 1926 en el estilo plateresco.

Hemos incorporada ésta foto a nuestro Mapa interactivo de fotos históricas de Puerto Rico, el cual incluye una gran cantidad de fotos históricas geolocalizadas sobre un mapa de Puerto Rico.

Puede ver y descargar copia digital del anuario Athenea de la clase senior de la Universidad de Puerto Rico de 1928 en el portal de Issuu de la Colección Puertorriqueña UPR RP.

Fuentes:   Colección Puertorriqueña UPR RP, Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos.

Referencias: